Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Happy 100th BDO

It was a milestone occasion – the 100th show for organisers Ken West and Vivian Lees and boy was it a ripper.

Calippo anyone?
With temperatures reaching a solid 42 degrees out west, it was going to be an unforgettable day. For OH&S reasons, I avoided arriving at the festival until around 3pm and headed straight for Passion Pit . Set up on the Converse State, these guys ripped it out and the crowd loved every second of it while slurping away on their ice cold Calippos.

Bailing early, knowing we had to get across the grounds for Girl Talk, we headed off. On the way we managed to jump over a lake that had developed thanks to a broken hose and by passed the vomit-worthy rides. The Boiler Room was our goal and we made it just in time. Straight into the centre of the mosh, Girl Talk was absolutely everything I hoped for and more. Mashing together the cream of the crop hits of my life, favourite moment was acting out ”If you fall, I will catch you, I’ll be waiting... time after time”.

Our next stop was the Blue Stage for none other than Dizzee Rascal . My crew and I had to venture through hundreds upon hundreds of fans just to make it onto the oval, climbing fences and jumping rails along the way. How appropriate that Dizzee’s hit ”Road Rage was playing at the time. Once on the field, I have to admit I wasn’t overly thrilled. Perhaps I had my expectations too high or perhaps I wasn’t around the right part of the crowd to get the best atmosphere. Dizzee would have been far more successful in the Boiler Room or perhaps later in the evening but each to their own. From other reviews, I believe Dizzee’s Friday performance went absolutely insane. 

Lily Allen
Disheartened, we left early and headed for the grand stands to chill and wait for Miss Lily Allen. More beautiful as ever in a Katy Perry styled playsuit, Lily performed a slower more relaxed set than previous years. I still remember BDO 2007 seeing Lily in the Boiler Room and thought her set back then was far more appropriate for a Big Day Out event.
Oh Jaymes :(

School girl error for the event was not pulling out enough cashola before heading to Homebush and therefore having to spend a solid 45 minutes in the ATM line. We weren’t very impressed.

Never to mind! We had been told by a friend to make sure we were at Calvin Harris because he was apparently completely and utterly worth it. And boy was he right! The ambience was ridiculous and the Boiler Room was exhilarating. For an act we were going to bypass, he proved why he has bagged himself a nomination at the 2010 Brit Awards for British Male Solo Artist.

As soon as Calvin Harris was done and we’d danced holes in our shoes, we headed to Powderfinger. Believe it or not, this was my first time ever seeing Bernard Fanning and the boys live in concert and I was completely blown away. Everyone naturally knew all the lyrics and we sung like we meant every single word. It was as if the thousands of people on that field were truly and honestly meaning every word they sang. It was simply beautiful.



Shuffling from one half to the other half, we waited with anticipation for Muse. It is as if these guys are the new super group for 2010. The light show, the sound, the graphics and the special rendition of Back in Black with Nic Cester from Jet were all so sensational, words cannot do the set justice.



I ended the night with Groove Armada however the exhaustion had set in and the new singer didn’t captivate me enough to stick around.

Without fail this would have to have been my favourite Big Day Out ever. 9.5 out of 10 (.5 lost for ATM line)

No comments:

Post a Comment