Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Birthday Blues

I always thought I was a bad singer.

Turns out - this is a common misconception when a fundamental song is one of the hardest to sing in key... you know the words, you've been singing it since you could walk... the Birthday song.

As a solo effort, belt it out now (provided you're alone) and sure! You're the local Pavarotti. In a group situation however, it's the most impossible thing to sing. I thought there was something wrong with me for exactly 23 years and 9 months and 11 days.

Today - 5th April 2011, I casually sang happy birthday to my Mum sitting next to my sister. Once the song was completed I admitted my faux pas to the younger sister who immediately jumped with wide eyes to inform me she too could not sing it either! Who on earth decided to write such a complex song for something so simple? Do you think when siblings Patty Hill and Mildred Hill decided to develop the song they honestly thought the tune was good? Seriously did they honestly think that young school children could sing it also? Dreaming!!!

Don't be shy guys - sing it loud and sing it proud cause no one's singing it in key. And after all - it ain't over until the fat lady sings. 

Happy cake days.

No comments:

Post a Comment