Friday, July 29, 2011

Learn By Example

After three failed attempts to make it to see Example live, iTunes Festival finally delivered what I've always missed out on.
The music gods really had it in for me last night trying to prevent me yet again from witnessing Example perform with one of my thongs having a plugger incident (aka my 'flip flop' broke). Luckily there was a Sainsbury in the general vicinity and after some blu tac and scotch tape artwork, I emerged feeling ready for a gig... and a little like Neil Buchanan.

Yasmin
Starting the night was songstress Yasmin. With her sparkly pink jacket taking my eye, I was wooed by her vocals and also spent most the set pondering where on earth she is from. Her accent was a mixture of English, Aussie and American it sounded like - baffling myself and my plus one for the evening. Not having heard her music before, we found ourselves happily swaying and watching with mouths wide open at her soothing voice - plus she's an epic stunner.

Wretch 32
After a cheeky drink and a few hot chips, we headed back inside for Wretch 32. Bringing on special guest Josh Kumra to perform his new song 'Don't Go', you can immediately tell that BBC have hit the nail on the head predicting Wretch 32 will be a big hit in 2011 by nominating him for BBC's Sound of 2011 - he is simply one succulent rapper.



Example
And finally - what we were all waiting for, a dynamite set from Example. With a set that was like a smooth rollercoaster ride through emotions and excitement levels, this guy some how takes you for the a spin with ease, comfort and confidence on the stage like I've never seen before. Casually giving a shout out to his Mum and responding in a cheeky manner to the crowd when booing the VIP section, Example is leading the way for artists and their interaction with crowds.

Starting the set off with 'Skies Don't Lie' from his third album Playing in the Shadows, Example moved through every track without one dull moment. A constant high, he casually went through to a couple songs from his second album Won't Go Quietly getting the crowd to show him their dirty faces.

The ambience of the crowd was swayed by every song that started up - at one point creating an atmosphere that made me feel as though I actually WAS in Ibiza. Pulling out 'spirit fingers' left right and centre, Example would say JUMP and the crowd would respond HOW HIGH????

Cleverly experimenting with some new tracks from his third album such as 'Skies Don't Lie', 'The Way', and 'Natural Disasters' falling perfectly in line with the rest of the set - playing new stuff can always be a risky move especially at free gigs but not for this kid.


Saving his most renowned hits until lucky last, 'Kickstart' and latest number one hit 'Changed the Way You Kiss Me' were absolute crowd pleasers with everyone going completely nuts for it. Although I couldn't dance as hard as I hoped, I know there is definitely going to be a next time as he is 100% worth it.

Can this guy dance? Definitely not! But my god you can't take your eyes off him regardless. Rapping, singing, and great conversation... what more can you ask for. You can follow Example on twitter for constant (and I mean constant) updates on where he is and what he's up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment