Saturday, December 19, 2009

Cover Me With Honey

There is something about artists covering each other’s hits that gets me oozing with excitement (No, I’m not talking William Hung covering Ricky Martin’s ‘She Bangs’).

Perhaps it’s the illusion that all musicians are in a special secret club together and by listening to these tracks I’m being accepted in?
Or perhaps its the sound flowing between my eardrums that is sensationally familiar yet eerily different.

Whatever it is, I am a massive sucker for it. I think the fetish for covers started back in 2002 when I heard
Reel Big Fish’s version of Boy’s Don’t Cry (originally by The Cure). From there I have graduated to becoming friends with British Citizens purely so they can send me BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge volumes at each release.

Here are my current ultimate faves:
Katy Perry covering Electric Feel (Originally by MGMT)
There has been an abundance of covers by many different artists for Electric Feel however Katy without fail takes the cake with this one. Her sexy, strong voice gives every lyric passion.

Newton Faulkner Mama Do (Uh Oh, Uh Oh) (Originally by Pixie Lott)
I didn’t even realise this was Newton Faulkner! He hits every note as if he wrote the song for himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment